Sunday, July 18, 2010

Time...



Oh where, oh where dost though go? I rise up, and cannot find thee. I see the noon day sun and wonder where hast though gone? In the evening, though escapest me. And as I layeth down in the night, I cannot understandeth to where though has disappeareth.


 
 


That is my best KJV or Shakespearian version of the age old question, "Where has the time gone?" And what an appropriate entry for me at this point in time, considering the many months that have gone by since I have sat down to journal. Oh, I have written many entries in my head, but none have made it to the computer. And as I washed dishes at 9:30 on Sunday night, this one almost didn't!


 

But then it hit me, I must stop now!  And write, or I won't. I didn't really want to dishes anyway, I just wanted to relax, sip some ice water, read, chat with my husband. But, as I washed just a few more dishes, I realized that is perhaps one of the keys to my busy life, as a creation of God, a wife, a mother, a friend, a daughter, a neighbor, an aunt, a coach, a teacher, and the list could go on (especially if I really stretched it out - you know, cook, launderer, cleaning lady, gardner, nose and bum wiper, mess cleaner-upper...). So I was saying, the key to my busy life...is not just the most common interpretation of the Biblical phrase, "A time for everything," in which we talk about life's seasons, and how sometimes we are rejoicing, and sometimes we are mourning, etc, etc.  


Don't get me wrong, I love to think about that and meditate on that scripture of passage, but as my mind went on a hundred miles and hour with each dish I washed, it hit me. For me, right now, a time for everything means that when it makes sense to take time for something, then I should. Today is Sunday, and although there were diapers to wash, and picking up to do, laundry to put away, dishes to be washed and a dishwasher to unload (just for starters), it is Sunday. So, instead, we went to church. And then we went to Paw-Paw and Grammy's for lunch. And then we stayed for naps (even Daddy and Mommy got one!).  


No idea I snapped this one...and I would join him soon.
And then the girls watched a movie and had a late afternoon snack (our dinner) - because it is hot outside and the house is air conditioned. And then we sat on the back porch for a little, and played croquet, a little. And then we went back inside because it is still ridiculously hot. And then we decided it was about time to head home. But then after we were loaded, we stood around and talked some more. And then we stopped by my sister's house to weigh baby Mikayla. And then we stood there and chatted with my BIL Jason. And then we finally came home, and the diapers still needed washed, and the house still needed picked up, and the laundry still needed put away, and the dishes were still dirty, and the dishwasher was clean but still full. And after baby Mikayla was fed, and the 5 little women were all tucked quietly away in bed, I began the not-so-fun tasks that were forgotten for the entire day. And as I stood at the sink washes dishes, thinking how I would rather be relaxing, since it is a Sunday, I thought back on my day and realized. That was exactly what I did! We enjoyed a very peaceful (aside from a bit of rush to get out of the house on time and a little bickering among the 3 oldest princesses), restful, and enjoyable day from start to finish. And though I would consider myself a work first, play later kind of person, it dawned on me that life, particularly our lives right now, can't always be that way. When we have a chance to worship God with our church family AND there are dishes to be done, we'll leave the dirty dishes and worship our God. When we are invited to lunch and it works for us to accept the offer, we'll wash the diapers later and go. If there is opportunity to take a nap and I'm feeling really sleepy, I have no problem putting the laundry away later so I can close my eyes and take that nap! Because, you see, if I didn't take time for something when the opportunity arose I probably wouldn't take time for anything, or at least not much of anything. My house work and projects will be there, and in truth, they hold very little value in life. Yes, they need taken care of or life would get real messy real fast. But, taking time to rest, to visit, to worship, and to just be with my family, neighbors, and friends, is of more value than always having an empty (and clean!) kitchen sink. And sometimes, that opportunity is a small window of time - a couple of seconds or that butterfly flew away or a child's goofy face is missed. Five minutes of rocking a saddened child or comforting the wounded. An hour to take a nap, or journal. A day away from the house, and any messes within it, to be with others. And even now, I stopped washing dishes to share this lil' nugget that I discovered, and those dishes are still there would still be there if my husband hadn't so kindly finished them up for me! But instead, I chose to take some time and put my thoughts on paper (cyber paper that is) before they escaped me once again. And hopefully, by doing just that, I (and maybe you too) will remember to take time for things as they arise, and not always wait until later, until it can be scheduled into my day or my tasks are complete...or I might just miss my chance.

2 comments:

  1. Liss, I needed to read this tonight! Thank you for "taking the time"!

    Love you, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Melissa! This is something that most/all of us Mom's can relate to, for sure! Love your Shakespeare!

    ReplyDelete