Thursday, February 25, 2010

Just in case I forgot

Not too long ago (well, probably longer than I remember), God tapped me on the shoulder and said..."In case you forgot." It was a Saturday, a day that when growing up was 99% of the time used to get things done, and be productive. There was always some task to do at my house, whether it was cleaning, laundry, cooking, gardening, or baking, or some other miscellaneous project; there was always something that needed done. And now, with a family and house of our own, my husband and I are much the same way...Saturday comes and we ask ourselves and each other, what will we work on today?

So, it was one of those Saturdays...Mom was graciously over helping me do some serious house cleaning before the arrival of baby #5 who was "scheduled" to come at any time over the next 3 weeks, and my to-do list was miles long. Well, things were moving right along, as quickly as vigorous cleaning can, and I was feeling quite good about all that was being accomplished. Meanwhile, the children were playing and getting along pretty well considering not only was I busy working but Daddy was focused on a project of his own.

At one point during the morning, I stopped to fill a need that one of the girls had...I don't remember exactly what they needed; in fact, I think we just sat in the kitchen together for about 5 minutes. As I watched my mom continue working, I made a comment, an apology of sorts, for being distracted and not helping her work in the moment. To which she responded, as a messenger of God and my reminder, in case I did forget, "What you are doing is more important than helping me clean." I nonchalantly brushed her words off, and even apologized once more.

The day progressed, and apparently I still forgot. Later in the afternoon, our youngest 2 blessing were peacefully sleeping, and the older were 2 getting some fresh air outside, playing "golf" in the side yard. Our neighbor down the street had just cleaned out their garage and thought our children would enjoy some of the toys that their kids played with growing up and had so thoughtfully brought them over. As we all stood there (me taking a brief break from washing out our kitchen trash cans), watching the girls giggle and laugh as they swung at the ball, and Ryan taking a break from his work to join in, the neighbor so casually stated, "This is what it (life) is all about."

To which I gave a polite smile, nodded my head in agreement, stood there for just a few more minutes, and then dove right back into my tasks for the day. It wasn't until days later, as the words of my mother and neighbor came back to me, that I finally received God's important reminder.

I had forgotten...that what I accomplish in or outside of my house, is of little importance when compared to the privilege of not only raising our children, but living life with them each and every day...for me that will mean putting a task (or even 2 or 3!) off for a day, or a week, and taking time to play and learn with my girls. It might also mean that one Saturday we just "play" or go somewhere even though there are things to do. There always will be. The children will not always be little and living at home.

So as I go forward, I will do my best to remember, because I did most certainly forget. What is God trying to tell you...in case you forgot?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you had posted until today and I was definitly blessed to read it and be reminded again of what really is important. Why is it so easy to get too task-oriented? Lord, change me!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete