Inspired by a mother of 7 whom I don't yet know, maybe will never know except through her blog, I have decided to choose a word for this new year, 2010, which begins in 10 short hours. I suppose it is like a resolution, though making a list of resolutions always seems to fly in our faces before we turn one calendar page. So as my mom likes to say, "KISS - Keep is simple SWEETIE!" So simple it will be, with one word.
There are so many words out there, and as I think about the possibilities, there are so many "words" that I need to work on and develop in my life. Of course, there are those things that are in the forefront today, but tomorrow or next week there will be something else staring me in the face. There are the old "words" that I feel as if I've been working on forever; and there are the "words" I've put off working on. Then there are "words" I don't even know exist or apply to me, either because I have yet to reach that level of intelligence or spirituality, or because I turn away from them when they try to make an appearance. No matter how I look at it, the possibilities for my "word" are endless.
I suppose for most of us Moms, the words we tend to brainstorm and consider are closely if not entirely related to parenting and fulfilling our role as mothers. As I think about the word I will choose for myself, this is certainly true for me; however, I know that whatever word I choose will also need to go outside the realm of motherhood, extending to my role as a homemaker, wife, coach, friend, neighbor, and most importantly to my spirituality and calling as a child of God.
One of my first choices would be discipline. I have always considered myself very disciplined, but that is/was true only of certain areas of my life; particularly those I enjoyed or those that were easiest to be disciplined. As I age, and am blessed with more children and more responsibilities, and develop more passions and desires for all that I would like to do in life, I realize the lack of discipline that is in my life.
But I think more of what is on my heart can wrapped up in the word, look out, it sounds sophisticated..."Exemplification." To avoid sounding too scholarly..."Example."
As a working definition...example: a pattern or model, something to be imitated OR avoided.
...exemplification: to show or illustrate by example
This fellow blogger, or rather blogging model to me, suggests several things to get you started with your word for the New Year in her recent post titled "Focus..." Since it is her original idea, I will simply post a link to her blog, Daily Pleasures, that is as soon as I figure out how to do that.
Returning to my own word choice, I will make it final after I run it by my significant other and see what he thinks - does it fit for me or is there a better choice from his perspective? Maybe we'll even make it a couples devotional (ooh, the oh so holy d-word) activity.
So why the word example? How do I wish to focus on that word in the coming days, weeks, months, and year? Well, where to start. I suppose I will just start where my mind begins, and not necessarily in order of importance since application to many areas of my life will be of great value. In fact, application, or should I say positive application, of this word "example" in any area of my life over the next 365 days will be considered success, no growth. Success is what the world longs for...I desire growth, fruit producing growth. Just as in the passage I somewhat recently read in John, and recorded in my journal (I knew there was a reason I started journaling my quiet times again, even if they are too few and far between). John 15:4-5 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." Jesus taught us the importance of growth, and how to grow and be fruitful. Very simply! "Remain in Him!"
So, as I think about these areas of growth I long for in relation to my chosen word, "example," the following is the list I have begun...
- To Exemplify Christ in all I do to everyone around me! (I think I should probably stop there - that pretty much encompasses it all doesn't it? I will keep going to give myself some much smaller and seemingly more achievable goals.)
- Be an example to my girls in the many areas: reading my Bible, memorizing scripture and praying...CONSISTENTLY!, being productive (specifically for us right now this means getting up in good time and starting the day with a regular routine), speaking in love (i.e. not yelling!), demonstrating patience (not just when it is easy, but those times I am really struggling with it), sharing God with those around me - literally!, modeling respect and love for my husband, their father; showing respect and servanthood to many, especially my parents and parent-in-laws, keeping the spaces in our home that I am responsible for clean and organized, eating healthy, exercising, enjoying God's creation...
I think the heart of this word choice for me, is realizing that as each day comes and goes, I have a choice to be an example, and example of and for Christ, or an example of my own humanity, which apart from Christ is rather ugly (to put it mildly). It started with the realization that my children are growing and learning each day and all day, as they watch me and those around me. And what do they see? I cannot control what they see in those we come into contact with, but I can focus on and work on what they see exemplified (there it is!) in myself. And that is my heart's desire. Though it has begun with my calling as a mother, it certainly does not end there and it is my prayer that God would open my eyes to ways in which I can be an example in my other roles in this life.
Though my list is by far not exhaustive, it is a start. As I add to it in my head, I hope I have not chosen a word that creates a task so difficult I will be easily discouraged. I fear I have not followed my mother's wisdom. But, we all need to start somewhere, so with "example" is where I begin. With what word will you start in this New Year?
Excellent thoughts, Liss! I am inspired by your heart to be an example of Christ to all around you. I also want to follow your example...and Amy's... and pick a word for myself but I'm still deciding! I want to have something I can focus on and keep in front of me and also be able to see results in God working on me in that area instead of having my mind all over the place in all kinds of areas. Of course, God is sovereign and He'll decide what He wants to do in me in the coming year but I also think He can guide me in choosing a word so that I'm focusing where He is. Anyway, I think your word is a great one and God will help you to grow in it I'm sure. I look forward to reading your blog and being challenged and encouraged by it! Cheryl
ReplyDeleteThanks Cheryl! I can't wait to hear what word becomes yours for 2010. I am still praying through mine...one moment I feel like it is too general, and the next it is very simple to me! I am anxious to see where it leads me for areas of Bible Study - there will be many things to learn about throughout the year I'm sure.
ReplyDelete